You will have to take care of Australia's famous mammals such as Koalas, Kangaroos or Wallabies. The park is also home to a variety of birds, reptiles and fish that you will be able to discover during your volunteer program. Support our organization in the preservation of these animal species that make the country famous.
Program placement is located in Tropical North Queensland at a wildlife park based in Port Douglas, 50 minutes north of Cairns. This location provides a great way to experience the wonders of the tropical north, where the Great Barrier Reef meets World Heritage rainforest. The dedicated team of wildlife keepers will assist all Volunteers embarking on this program. There is plenty of time on days off to explore this beautiful region and live like a local.
- Preparing food for our native wildlife (this is often a daily task)
- Cleaning and maintenance of animal enclosures
- Koala leaf collection and distribution
- Upkeep of displays and exhibits Plantation maintenance
- General park maintenance tasks
- Greeting and engaging with our customers
- Joining keepers on guided tours of park
Volunteers may also be given the chance to participate in:
- Animal handling
- Plant identification and collection
- Caring for injured and orphaned animals
- Assist with record keeping duties under supervision
- Offsite projects - Community , Environmental, Cultural, eg. environmental clean-up days, community interaction days, tree planting / wildlife carer projects, and indigenous cultural experience opportunities.
Accommodation Info: The program includes 1 night in a hostel in Cairns on the day of your arrival (Monday night) and 2 nights in the same hostel in Cairns upon your return from Port Douglas (Saturday and Sunday).
Volunteers sleep in mixed dormitories (with the option to upgrade to a private room). Both hostels have comfortable, air-conditioned rooms, a kitchen, and modern amenities.
In Port Douglas, volunteers stay in a hostel about a 10-minute drive from the project.
Transport Info: Daily transfers between the project and the accommodation in Port Douglas are included. The round trip transfer between Cairns and Port Douglas is included.
Airport transfers between Cairns and the Cairns accommodation are not included. Participants are encouraged to arrange their transfer via the Uber app or through one of the following options:
You will need to bring:
– Closed-toe work shoes.
– Shorts or pants for your daily work (beige, khaki, or brown).
– Lightweight raincoat or anorak.
To participate in volunteering with animals in Australia:
– Must be at least 18 years old.
– Proficient in English.
– A copy of your passport.
– Visitor visa for stays of less than 12 weeks or working holiday visa for stays of more than 12 weeks.