MARINE CONSERVATION, is a program that aims to bring awareness to people about the oceans pollution problem while contributing to its solution.
Volunteers have the opportunity to join a variety of conservation efforts focused on the protection of the marine ecosystem, especially in the south coast of Portugal. The project happens in collaboration with a diving school that puts special emphasis on the local environmental protection, for example, through cleaning up the ocean while diving. Volunteers will always be supervised by an experienced diver and will receive comprehensive training on the diving technique and on the marine conservation subject. Any person can participate, from beginners (start with the Open Water Dive Certification) to more experienced divers (start with the Advanced Open Water Dive Certification).
Observe fish of all colors, touch weird seaweeds, explore underwater caves and discover boat wrecks and many more. This project unveils wonders hidden underwater, a Portuguese treasure unknown to many but loved by those who are brave enough to take this challenge. Discover a new underwater world and contribute to clean up the Atlantic Ocean by bringing trash out during your dive.
And don't forget: your project does not end when you leave. Check our suggestions about how to act in favor of Marine Conservation in your life, community and society.
- Dive in the Ocean
- Collect trash from the ocean at each dive, measure it and sort it out
- Be conscious about the pollution problem
- Take internationally recognized diving certifications
- Learn about the Marine ecosystem and how we can protect it
- Educate the local community about environmental issues, conservation and protection of biodiversity and marine resources such as food
- Clean up the shore and the beaches
- After collecting the trash you'll weight it and give a destination to it. Either we sort it out to recycling or we give it back to the fishermen
*Calculated on the basis of 66% tax reduction. For more information on donations to organizations of general interest, go to the official website of the public service
A supplement of €200 applies to participants under 18 years old. For more information, go to the youth area.
Accommodation is provided in the volunteers’ house, in shared rooms for a maximum of 8 people. Volunteers will have access to the common room, the outdoor spaces including the garden and the pool to relax. WIFI is available throughout the house and is free.
Meals are prepared every day, they are local cuisine but it is possible to adapt to specific diets on request (vegetarian, vegan, lactose free, gulten free, etc).
The program happens in Cascais, a lovely fishermen town only 45 minutes from Lisbon. The city hall has been putting many efforts into sustainability but there’s still a lot to do in the ocean and in the community!
Documents required to reserve a place on the program:
– Registration form with your contact information and travel dates (which we will send via email).
– Flights detail
– Passport Copy.