The Whale Foundation, located in Puerto Lopez, has dedicated time and effort to recollect data about whales and contribute with scientific research to the Whale Commission South America. This happens every year during the season that the Humpback Whales come to the pacific coast of Ecuador (midJune to mid-October). The Foundation has already identified and catalogued over 2200 different whales by photographing their tails and has contributed to different scientific studies and determination of migration routes, feeding areas and more. Besides whales, marine birds and dolphins are also monitored.
- Introduction to the research team, orientation, and methodology
- Field research of whales and the Pacific Ocean • Data Analysis: results and conclusions
- Lectures on biology and conservation cetaceans
Volunteers will be trained in research techniques, including behavioral, demographical, biopsies, and acoustic data collection, as well as photo identification while on a whale watching vessel. They will participate in the boat-based humpback whale photo-identification and behavioral data collection trips. This data is analyzed and shared with the staff. Cristina de director of the Whale foundation will explain you the first day the work schedule and tasks. You have to help with general tasks but there are also possibilities to use and work with other tasks like marketing, text writing, painting, audio visual etc. You will work 5 days a week from 8am until 5pm .
*Calculated on the basis of 66% tax reduction. For more information on donations to organizations of general interest, go to the official website of the public service
You will be staying in a hostel near the beach. This hostel has dormitories, which can be divided for boys and girls. These rooms are equipped with a kitchen and cooking facilities. The hotel also has a swimming pool where you can relax and spend your free time.
The maximum recommended duration of this program is 10 days. Longer stays can be booked upon request.
For volunteers interested in marine conservation, the NGO has set up a 3-week discovery program that combines 10 days in the whale program with 2 weeks in the turtle sanctuary in Salango.
For more information on the conditions and prices of this program, you can contact us by email at email@example.com
– Guayaquil Arrival Package: Pick up at Guayaquil International Airport and one night at a hotel in Guayaquil / from 150€
– Private transfer from Quito to Baños : 3/4h – from 130€
– Transfer Guayaquil-Montañita : 2h30 – from 80€
Additional nights :
– Extra night in Baños : from 19€/ night
– Extra night in Montañita : from 20€ / night
– Montañita: from 20€ / night
– Half board Montañita : 100€ / week
– Full board supplement in Baños : 125€ / week
– Registration form with your contact information and travel dates (which we will send by email).
– Airline tickets.
– Scan of passport.